Amazon Promotions

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Finally there are Nitrates Free Deli Meat

One of the key changes in me when I had breast cancer was that I became more aware of what I was eating and more selective about what I ate.  One of the key food which I try to stay away from are the hams, sausages.  Although luncheon meat was one of my comfort food, I also limited this to sometimes once or even less a month.  The key reason why I stay away from the deli meats and cured meats is that they all contain sodium nitrates which is know to be cancer causing and I do get upset nowadays, when I see more and more people eating hams and deli meats and some even touting them as health food as some hams are now lower in fat e.g. turkey ham.

Anyway, my family has been trying to avoid ham for sometime and only eat it occasionally (though I would feel guilty feeding them that).  But guess what I saw at Jelita Cold Storage!  Nitrates free ham!


And not only is it nitrates free, it is suppose to homones free and free from antibiotic as well.  I bought the honey baked ham ( it cost about a little more than double of regular honey baked ham....but I think it is still affordable).  I have yet to try it, but reviews from the internet seem fine.  (Will update the blog again after I tried it.)  Besides the honey ham, it also comes in smoke ham, chicken breast ham and turkey ham as well.

Jelita is relatively near my workplace, so I am quite happy to have found it.  But yes, I do hope that with more and more people aware of the health hazards with nitrates and environmental hazards caused by mass farming, more and more people will chose deli meats that are nitrates free.  Hopefully, all the Cold Storage in Singapore will eventually carry these meats and it will help bring the price down.

2 comments:

  1. Yes...tried the ham...cannot really tell the difference except it is a little less "hammy" as it is also less salty. Will definitely buy it again if I am craving for ham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just informed by my friend that it is now also available at Sengkang Compass Point!

    ReplyDelete