Amazon Promotions

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cheong Fan with a Japanese Twist (日式肠粉)

The favourite breakfast for my daughter, Danielle, must the Chee Cheong Fun (Steamed Rice Roll).  The Chee Cheong Fun must have originated from the Cantonese, as one can surely find them in any restaurants or shops selling Dim Sum (点心).

The cheong fun served in Singapore at the normal shops that sells breakfast are usually simpler in style than those served in the dim sum restaurants (which contains stuffings of shrimp or char siew - a sweet roast pork).  These cheong fun are usually steamed and cut into pieces, drizzled with a little fried shallot oil and sweet sauce (and chilli sauce if required) and sprinkled with sesame seeds.  When I was younger, each rice roll was only 30 cents and I would only need about amost 1 1/2 to fill my stomach (my elder brother would always be glad to finish the rest for me).  But the price has slowly crept up over the years, and how each roll can cost as much as $1.00 at some shops.

I have since stop buying from these shops mainly because of two reasons:
(1)  rice rolls are easily available at most of the beancurd stalls at wet markets from $2.20 to $2.60 for a packet of 10 rolls.
(2)  My daughter and son actually do not like sweet sauce, so they usually have their cheong fun with a drizzle of sesame oil and light soya sauce.
So I usually prefer to buy my own and steam it in the morning for them as breakfast. 

Recently, I found that I had a bottle of Japanese Goma sauce (sesame dip) which I left over from my last steamboat meal.  (I like to dip it with sliced beef).  Somehow, I decided to add it my cheong fun....and boy did I really like it.  My kids still like theirs plain and cannot appreciate the Goma sauce, but my husband loves it as well.  You should really try it the next time you have your cheong fun. 



Recipe:

Mizkan Dipping Sauce For Shabu-Shabu Sesame Flavor - Goma Shabu , Net Wt 8.4 Fl Oz (1 Bottle)1 bottle of Goma Sauce

Light soya sauce

Sesame oil

2 rolls of rice rolls (cheong fun) - This is for each person.  This can be bought at most beancurd stalls.  For those living abroad, they are readily available at stalls carrying Asian or Vietnamese food.

Sesame seed (toasted in a frying pan till fragrant but not charred)

Method:

1.  Steam the rice rolls over a wok of water for about 10 min to warm it up.

2.  Transfer the rice rolls to a serving plate.  Cut the rice rolls with a scissors into bite size length or quarters.  (I like mine quartered, my daughter likes hers bitesize.)

3.  Drizzle sesame oil over.  Then drizzle light soya sauce to taste.  Finally drizzle in the Goma Sauce over.

4.  Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seed.  (As much as you like!)  And it is ready for serving.


This is especially an easy breakfast, I usually steam the rice rolls while brushing my teeth and assemble them after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment