Amazon Promotions

Monday, June 28, 2010

How Can I Live Without My Rice Cooker.

  My colleagues are always amazed how I am able to bring home-cooked lunch to work.  Simple, when I cook, there is usually more than enough to last me and my husband to more than one meal.  But what truly motivates me is that School Canteen food does not appeal to me and I do not always have the luxury of eating out.  So yes, that will sometime motivate me  to wake up at 5 am in the morning (I usually wake up at 5:30 am if there is no need to prepare lunch) to make bento for me and my husband's lunch. 

  One appliance I cannot do without is my rice cooker, which isZojirushi 3 cup rice cooker which I bought in 2004 during my chemotherapy when I switched to eating brown rice.  It is really an amazing device.

  It has a timer function that allows me to put in my rice and water one night beforehand, so that it can be ready at 5 am in the morning when I wake up to assemble the bento.  It is a great cooker as it is able to take small portions, there are times when my husband needs to meet clients and will not be able to have lunch bento.....so it always me to cook 1/2 cup of raw rice (which yields about a bowl of rice for my bento).  There are gradations at the side of the pot that tells you exactly how much water you need to put without using your finger to measure...that is a traditional way my mother taught me to measure how much water to use for rice.  It cooks brown rice extremely well, sufficient cooked so that is soft but yet every rice grain is well defined and the texture is sufficient chewy. 

  My kids are growing older now,  and their appetite has grown bigger.  But the rice-cooker is still sufficient, as I usually need to cook 2 and a quarter cups of (raw) rice to sufficiently feed my family of four.  However, I am secretly hoping that my rice cooker will break down....as I like to entertain, so during times like these I have to cook twice at maximum capacity.  I am trying now very hard to convince my husband I need 5 1/2 cup rice cooker, though my next one will still be a Zojirushi one. :>

No comments:

Post a Comment