Amazon Promotions

Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Food and Me

I love food....don't know why but yes I love food and enjoy cooking them. It could be because I have been exposed to cooking from young. I have been helping out in the kitchen from as young as I could remember, cutting, pounding, chopping and peeling....before I even entered school. My mother was a cooking instructor and I was responsible for helping to ensure all her ingredients were properly prepared.
By the age of 6, my mother taught me to cook rice, fry omelette and cook instant noodles....all essential skills to ensure that I would not be hungry when alone at home. By the age of 9, my mother decided that I should learn to cook (so that I could become a good wife) and designated me to the responsibility of the cooking of the daily dinner to me. As she had to work in the evening, she would leave the ingredients on the kitchen table, or fridge, gave me instructions on what I was to prepare and how they were to be prepared. Details were however vague, and I can remember my first plate of beansprouts were overcooked as I did not know when to stop stir frying.
During festive seasons, like Chinese New Year, Dumpling Festival and Mooncake festival, my mother would receive large orders of festive food and guess who would be responsible for washing, cutting, peeling and weighing the massive amount of ingredients - me of course....(did you ever try cutting bags and bags and bags of winter melon till your hand were all bruised from holding the large chopper that was oversized). But in those times, it was not considered child abuse....as my mother only took the orders to supplement the insignificant income that my father brought home, and I was just doing my part for the family. (My elder brother was often left out of the process as he was the male of the family.)
However, in the process, I picked up the skills of cooking and eventually developed a passion for it. I am now in a much more financially stable state, but I still love to cook....and this is my blog to document my experiences and my experiment with food.
Being also a cancer survivor, I am also cautious in the ingredients I use. But alas, I will always have some cravings for my comfort food - the food that I so often ate when I was young- which was often simple, but unhealthy....so occasionally I still indulge in them...under the watchful eyes of my worried husband.
So with this blog...I begin my adventure in documenting my experiences and experiments in food.

No comments:

Post a Comment